Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Ornery Boy

I added a pole today on the right side of this blog. It goes with this post. Cast your votes!

As Canaan gets older, he is more of a joy every day! OK, he is also more of a challenge too! It all started about two weeks before his first birthday. He started figuring out this 'choice' thing. He finally got old enough that he was able to start turning the pages on the books faster, play with the particular toys he was interested in, and not do everything Mommy and Daddy asked. So, here we are, 5 months later, and he is just choosing to exercise his way more than ours.

I guess that is just part of growing up. Mommy and Daddy are having to find ways to convince him that he must do what we say, or else. I think the hardest part about being a parent is being consistent. I am learning that is the only way that he will know I mean what I say. Everyday I feel like it just gets more challenging in this area. I am sure most of you understand what I am saying.

However, no matter how challenging some days can be, each day is a joy. In ways he is permitted to choose how he wants to do things, it is cool to see what he chooses. It is funny to see his favorite book change, his favorite toys become different favorites, his speech develop, etc. You can see little bits of Mommy, Daddy, aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc in his personality. It is great!

One thing it all does is make me develop more of an understanding and respect for God. He IS consistent: I can always count on what He says. He loves us, no matter how many wrong choices we make. I also have learned that saying sorry and asking for forgiveness is a necessary step in changing my attitude so that I don't make those same mistakes over and over. It also shows Him that I am serious about my sin and desire to change. There are many more things too. I love how having a kid is growing my relationship with God. I pray that I may always grow closer to Him as I strive to follow in the steps of Jesus, no matter where they lead!

On a lighter note: Canaan ate a whole handful of dirt the other day for the first time. Yuk! Thankfully, it didn't kill him, so no worries!

8 comments:

Guy and Nancy said...

So..I am reading your blog nodding the whole time. I am dealing with this with Aspen too. Sometimes I feel like everyone has better luck with their kids doing what they ask than I do, but your blog made me smile. I am glad someone else is having the same struggle. Can't wait till these two crazy children can hang out next week! It will fun and maybe we can bounce ideas off each other. Love you, Nan

David and Olivia said...

Mmmmmmmm dirt! I guess as far as food goes he isn't picky anymore, anything goes. Love Ya David

Anonymous said...

It is so hard to choose who that sweet boy gets his orneryness from! Sometimes I see Lucy, sometimes I see Dougle, and sometimes I see Livia! Mercy! The family tree can just be full of nuts, now can't it? I'm sure Dougle's folks see his brother and sister in the mix also! One thing for sure, he is a great combination of all that is precious!
Love,
Can you tell - Gran-Nan

Russell, Alison and Grant said...

Dirt is one of Grant's favorite dishes also! Those boys are so much alike. We'll compare notes when you get here!
Alison

Missanyss said...

Oh my goodness, he is getting so big! I absolutely love the pic on your header. Those teeth are precious! You guys are doing amazing things over there. I'm glad your parents got to come visit. Praying for ya'll! Love, Anyssa

Timbra said...

i don't think they're supposed to do what you say at this age, that's what "testing boundaries" is all about. . . learning right? my doc says "the teen months are like the teen years, they can't express themselves, they get frustrated, they want to be independent, they run when you say come and then they come running back when they're scared or hurt." i know, we're all thinking. . . if this is a glimpse of the teenage years, can we send them back to where they came from? anyway, love this post. . let's see, canaan is 17 months, i did some pix of alani around 16 months and she ate dirt. . yup, that's about the right age for dirt eating.

Kim said...

i totally relate to what you are saying. jenna went through a phase like this right about at canaan's age and is going through it all over again.

she never ate dirt, but today we had church at a friends house and she found some cold medicine in the office and elected to eat 1 or 2. yikes!!! i was mortified and scared. the bottle wasn't even child proof!! anyway, i called poison control and they said that her stomach may be upset but that she would be fine. whew. great thing to live out for the first time in front of at least 25 other people.

thank you for what you said about being consistent. it really is the only way for those little guys to learn, but it's tough to be consistent because it means that we have to be on our game all the time. it is a good reminder and encouragement to think that God is and has always been consistent. that is where our strength should come from to be good parents to our children.

Miracle said...

Just stick with it. It will get easier. If he learns that there are definate consequences now, he won't push forever, he'll just have bouts where he makes sure the boundaries are still there. (Well, I guess this is from a girl's perspective--Eli isn't there yet) But it is definately worth it.