Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Canaan Stories

Stories
I have been absent for a long time now! We have been in a whirlwind lately with visitors, holidays and moving. I have so much to fill you all in on. So, I want to post a few stories over the next few days, with some pictures here and there too. I hope we can get caught up and you don’t tire of reading all of my Canaan and Max updates. We have found a hospital we are excited about and I will be telling you about all that in the next few days too! Hope you all are doing well! We love and miss you all!
PS. This picture was taken at a big grocery store that has "kid friendly" shopping cars/carts for the little ones!

Canaan is two years and two months old. Though at times it is amazing to think we are parents of a two year old, I am often just as amazed that he is ONLY two years old. He talks so much, understands even more, and just acts older than most recently turned two years olds that I’ve known. Daily we are amazed at his ever increasing vocabulary and understanding of the world around him; I guess you could say that we are just two parents who are too proud of their little boy!
Hurts
Recently, Canaan has had some dry patches on his back. He scratches at them and tells us “my back hurt.” So, when he tells me his back hurts, I’ve been putting lotion on it to help the itching and hurting. Yesterday, however, my growing belly was just itching so much. As soon as we got home, I went into the bathroom and started applying lotion to my belly. Canaan came in and saw what I was doing and said, “Mommy, Max hurt too.” I was amazed and touched!
Canaan knows that Max is in Mommy’s tummy, but I don’t think he quite understands much about what will happen. We recently broke out some books that we have been saving until closer to Max’s arrival about new babies. He listens and looks at the books with much interest, like he knows something in the book is very important and might be soon relevant to his life.
Mr. Repeat
He has been repeating phrases we use a lot. Sometime he just repeats exactly what we have just said, while at other times, he waits and pulls out the new phrase at times he feels is appropriate. Auntie Livi was sitting on the couch the other day and Canaan was bothering her to read him a book. Finally she said in insistent tones, “Hold your horses Canaan.” He quickly replied back, “I TRYING!” Then he calmed down for a few minutes before coming back asking the same thing. She said, “Wait, Canaan,” to which he replied, “Hold R Horses!”
He also used the word sometimes for the first time two days ago. Mommy and Canaan had a big battle over picking up his puzzle pieces before moving on to play with different toys. After Canaan finally submitted and obeyed Mommy, he said, “My obey Mommy sometimes.” I tried to correct him and tell him he should obey Mommy all the time, but he just insisted on using the word sometimes. So, I am taking that to mean that he doesn’t know exactly how to use that new word correctly yet!
Some other little phrases he has been throwing around recently have been:
“Pretty cool.”
“Wow.”
“What d-we have here?”
“Let’s see.”
“Be careful here Mommy”- this was after I messed up a line of cars he had strung across the floor
“What are you doing up here?”- he says this when he stands up on chairs
“Miss a page.” –when we skip a page in a book
“Look, see!! Look see!!”
And more

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your son is to cute: saying “What d-we have here?”