Thursday, April 30, 2009

Canaan and Max Growing Up

Sorry no pics with this blog. They are on another comptur and I wanted to get this sent out today!!

My sweet boys are getting cuter by the day, if that is possible! They are also getting bigger everyday. Canaan is now 2 1/2 years old and Max is 3 months. Canaan's hair is growing longer and getting a little thicker, though still far from the amount of hair his peers all have. Max's legs and cheeks get chubbier. Both are amazing and bring so much joy and fun to our lives!

Max Update: Well, Max is doing well. He is growing so much so fast. He is starting to be more interesting every day as he coos and smiles at us. He really
loves attention and to be talked to. He also loves to watch Canaan. Sometimes when I can't get his attention for anything, all Canaan has to do is walk in the room and start talking and he looks in his direction. In fact, he is so in-tuned to Canaan that when Canaan got a spanking the other day, Max started crying too. Also, the BIG NEWS is that my once a week poopy boy had 3 poopy diapers this past week!!! What am I going to do?

Potty Training Update: I know I've written a few time recently about potty training, but it is still an event. We've had about 5 or 6 days of no accidents here (minus his first nap time accident which happened just yesterday- but I don't count that). He is doing SOO well. Of course, as I write this, he had an accident. However, he is getting more used to going, and I think we finally found the right combination of discipline and rewarding to fit our little boy. In the past few days, he has taken on
going to the potty all by himself. He goes in, stands on his stool and goes by himself. This results in a mess on the toilet seat, so he then proceeds to wipe it up with toilet paper....lots and lots of it. He even will put the lid down and flush all by himself, emerging triumphant and asking for a jelly bean! This is big progress, though we still like to supervise to keep the mess down until he gets down the whole aiming thing. Canaan has also pooped by himself a few times, and we run in at the end to wipe up. He is just being a big boy and more responsible in taking care of himself. I am a such a proud Mom!

Daily Life Adventures: So, life everyday is an adventure. And, make room cars, Canaan has a
new love: bowling! We went bowling back in February, and though he didn't bowl, he did a great job cheering everyone on. Then, Daddy got a bowling game on his iPhone and he got to choose the different colored balls to bowl with. After he loved watching that so much, Daddy got him a little plastic bowling set. He was super excited to receive it and knew just what to do. "Mommy, Daddy, come bowl with me!" and "Max, look I knocked one down!" are common utterances these days! Now, cars and trucks are still his old favorite; after we've bowled a bit, he usually decides it is time to play cars and trucks.
Canaan has started becoming more clingy recently. He likes Mom and Dad to hold him, usually requesting whoever is holding Max to put him down and hold him. And though he loves to go outside and play, he almost always says, "I come back home?" I am not sure why he feels he needs to verify this; perhaps just our little trips here and there recently, the new family addition (Max) or the clingy stuff.

Canaan has recently started saying, "Uh-oh, spaghetti-O's!" He thinks that Max's bath tub is a row boat. He calls macaroni "mac-a-tRoni," which just sounds too cute. Another phrase we hear constantly is: "But your not want to do that!" He constantly is asking for us to play with him and when I tell him I have to cook, or do dishes or whatever else, he says this. Usually he is right, I don't want to do it, but it must be done. I try to get him to help me as much as he can. Of course, yesterday, we were baking banana bread for our neighbors and he was helping me. I turned around to the table to mash bananas really quickly and Canaan was just behind me at the counter. When I looked over, I realized he was using the teaspoon measure to put sugar in the flour container. Oops. Then a few minutes later he was helping me pour the flour into the bowl, but we missed and some of it landed in my baking soda container. But he sure did enjoy "helping."

Here are some fun stories about Canaan the past few days.
One time, Max was being fussy and I heard Canaan say, "It's okay Max. You be okay Max. Here, I lay down on Max." So, I ran over to find Canaan laying on top of Max. So, we had a big conversation about how he is big and Max is little and when he sits on him, he hurts him. I demonstrated by sitting on him. Anyway, all I can figure out is that I sometimes lean over very close to Max and talk to him or console him and Canaan just thought that I was laying on him when I do this. Who knows, though? His mind works in mysterious ways!

Mommy: Canaan, don't drop your food on the floor. That's not funny.
Canaan: But it IS funny, Mommy!

Daddy: Oww! (when he bumped his hand)
Canaan: I tiss (kiss) it for you!
Later Canaan bumps his hand and says: I tiss it by myself!

One thing we've been working on with Canaan is not laughing at people when they get hurt. We realized recently that he does this; we think it is because we laugh at him when he falls to help him shake it off and not cry. So, we've tried to stop laughing when he falls or bangs his head and instead ask him, " Are you okay?" Of course, he looks all pathetic and says reluctantly, "Yeah." But, we are hoping this will help him be more sympathetic to others. Well, the other day, Malachi fell down and Canaan laughed. I told him, "Canaan, we don't laugh at people like that when they get hurt." A few hours later at the dinner table, I did something funny and Canaan started to laugh, then got a serious look on his face and said, "I laugh at people?" Of course I told him he could laugh. But, oh, how confusing life can be!




1 comment:

David and Olivia said...

Great post. You have a gift at letting people into your life at home with the boys. They're just too cute and you two are doing a great job as parents. Canaan is quite the personality, I can't wait to see what is up Max's sleeves as well!