Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A Walk to the Post Office

Today the boys and I went out for a walk to the post office. I really don't know how far away it is other than to say it is about 3 or 4 blocks. Not too far. It would take me about 8 minutes to get there at a brisk pace, but much longer with a stroller and a walking 3 year old. And on ice.

I took the camera and we took some snapshots so you could see what we see everyday. We don't go to the post office to get our mail everyday, but we often drive by these areas and walk around. Hope you enjoy some of the scenes of our lives taken on this cloudy February day.

--The busy road street is where two streets merge near our house. If you keep looking down the road around the slight curve, our apartment is there on the left.

--This is outside the Hindman's house. Their courtyard is one huge slab of ice!

--The sidewalk with the snow steeped up on one side is how most sidewalks look. To get into the road means you have to climb over or through a huge mound of snow! The sidewalks are also slippery. When it snows, it gives more traction on the ice, but also hides patches of ice, giving you a surprise sometimes! (For those of you who missed my facebook update- I fell while carrying Max the other day. I figured the day would come one day, and it did. Thankfully, I was able to land on my leg and bottom and I only broke 5 of the 10 eggs I was carrying home from the corner store. Max landed just fine on my lap, a bit startled but didn't cry.)

--Here is our friendly neighbor hood, corner cop. There is a cop here always. They carry a little black and white stick, if you can see it, and wave it at cars to pull them over. So, you have to keep an eye out for them while you drive. If you miss their wave, they jump in their car and chase you down.
--This is outside a quaint, traditional looking restaurant that might be fun to eat at some day. Canaan looks for these little people statues whenever we drive by and asks me if they are out talking today. They haven't been recently, b/c of the freezing ice and snow. But today were back!

--The building with the yellow sign that says ПОШТА (Poshta- which is Ukrainian for Post Office), is just that. It isn't our new neighborhood po
st office, but is the one that we have our PO box at.

-- For this bank, I think they figure it is a waste of time to clear the snow off more than just the middle of this big staircase!

--My sweet Max, all bundled up. He was awake the whole way there, but fell asleep on the way home.

--This is one of my favorite pizza places here in Kharkov. It has oven baked pizzas and the cutest little atmosphere inside. It is called Feliche's.











1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good pictures, Lucy. The snow looked familiar! Especially the slab of ice outside the Hindman's apartment.