Saturday, October 6, 2007

The Stages and Phases

Since he was born, Dougle and I have always tried to be parents who enjoy each and every stage that Canaan goes through. We don’t want to be parents who wish their baby stayed a baby forever, rather we want to be parents who cherish each new phase of growth. For the most part, it has been exceptionally easy; we get so excited at each new thing that he does or is about to do. Until Now. This newest phase is not so fun: it is the clingy phase. From birth, we have made an effort to let lots of different people hold Canaan and play with him, so that he gets used to being with many and new people. But now, he will have none of it. He has started to cry when I drop him off in the nursery for Bible Class- which he used to love. He doesn’t want to go see anyone and gets worried and cries when anyone other than his favorite six people hold him. I realize that this is just a temporary thing (hopefully). In a way it makes me feel good that he loves to be with people he is familiar with, but I also wish he would enjoy other people too. I’ve heard that Canaan will probably go through another one or two clingy stages after this one, so I guess I’ll have plenty of time to learn to cherish them. So, until it is over, I am trying to soak in all the hugs he gives me (when he is turning away from someone he doesn’t want to go to) and all the times he chooses me over others.

Another interesting thing is the way that he will do things for a few weeks, and then decide he doesn’t want to do it any more. For instance, walking. He would take 20-30 steps easily across the living room from one person to another. And he was very proud of himself too! Now, he doesn’t want to take two steps to get from one person to another, but instead will go down to his hands and knees and crawl the distance! What a funny little boy!

Also as a side note: Canaan has learned to climb the stairs. So now, we must always use the gate, or we will find him 6 steps high in a flash!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! Each stage is such a gift,
with lots of challenges and new adventures for your family.
Love, ~Abigail~