Sunday, January 27, 2008

More News from Moscow

Hello to all! Since this blog is entitled "All About Canaan," I will give you an update on him first. Let's see....he is doing well. He adjusted to the jet lag quite quickly. Since his first night of good rest, we've been working on pushing his bedtime back from midnight to eight or nine at night. We are almost there. He is sleeping 10-12 hour nights, which is normal for him. We are so thankful and feel so blessed that he has adjusted well in that aspect. It keeps Mommy and Daddy sane! :)
Canaan has been a bit grumpy since arriving, but I discovered a big factor in that: he is currently getting 5 teeth! He usually gets a tooth or two on every trip we take. We think that because this was an EXTRA LONG trip, he is getting a few extra teeth. I can currently feel 4 sharp new points and can see one that is about to poke through. Poor little guy. But, overall is he doing well. We were so blessed to be able to pack several of his favorite toys, books, and stuffed animals. He has always enjoyed being at home around familiar things and having these familiar items around our tiny, new apartment has made him feel more at home- I think! (These are just mommy's musings about Canaan!) He likes to come home, take off his snowsuit, boots, gloves and hat and pick up his favorite ball or book and play.
Canaan has never enjoyed getting dressed. Dressing him is something we've done everyday, at least twice a day (once into clothes and once into pj's at night), for 15 months and he still doesn't like it. Well, now, whenever we need to leave the apartment, we have to dress him in his big snowsuit and try to wiggle his boots onto his little feet. He is getting better at letting us do it, but he still doesn't like it. Otherwise, he is doing well. He sits back in his stroller, sucks on his pacifier (yes, we still let him have it...), and occasionally comments about the "ucks" or cars that pass by on the road. Overall, he is doing very well. I think he is missing a few important and regular people in his life, but we are praying we can keep in contact with them through Skype and other wonderful technological devices, and that Canaan will soon have new people in his life that he will be familiar with. It makes me think of the saying my mom told my sister and I when we moved from Ohio to Texas: "Make new friends, but keep the old; one is silver and the other gold."
We are doing well. Our main outings have been to stores (grocery stores and home furnishing stores). Today, however, we went to church. It was great to see some of the contacts that we have made on previous trips. I am not to the point in Russian (and won't be for a while) where I get headaches trying to listen and figure out what is going on. I nod and smile and pretend to understand, while I really just listen to the different syllables, how rapidly they flow from people's mouths and understand the occasional word like "God," "Jesus," or "love." I imagine once I get some real vocabulary under my belt that I'll be trying to listen to understand: then the headaches will begin. But, that is yet to come! But, back to church, it was good. We had a ladies class/men's class at the beginning. The missionary here, Rebecca, translated Scripture references and the main points to me, which was more than what I expected. We had a short worship and then a prayer session to conclude. It was good. I met several people. I am able to introduce myself in Russian and say "nice to meet you." But the conversation falls a little flat when that is all you know how to say. You just look at one another and smile. There are several who speak some English; those conversations were able to last a little longer. Dougle was able to visit with several members and we are going over to one couple's home tomorrow.
Well, I must end here. Not much about Moscow in general in this blog. But, my internet card is running out and I must return home to my hubby and son, so Dougle doesn't worry that I forgot how to get home by myself (this is my first time out by myself). But, it is just one metro stop away and a short 7 minute walk from there. It isn't snowing, though I do have to watch my step. Learning to walk on ice is developing new leg muscles! Yeah!
Ta-ta for now. Or should I say, Paca!
Because of the lack of internet at our apartment yet, we won't be answering comments or e-mails as often. But we hope to get internet at our place soon. Thank you for all those prayers you are sending up on our behalf! God is answering them favorably and granting us many blessings and an easy transition thus far!
PS. Pictures will come soon...sorry for the delay!

2 comments:

Timbra said...

alani is getting four teeth at the moment, which like canaan, is a little weird since normally its one and then a month and then another and then a month. . . good luck with that.

Guy and Nancy said...

WOW - so good to hear from you! We pray for you daily and admire your strength everyday. You are a good mama Lucy and take such good care of your boys..especially the little one! Guy says HI too - Love you, Nan