Monday, February 4, 2008

Culture Shock: Here We Come!

Well, I was going to post an update on Canaan, but it is going to have to wait until tomorrow night. I am putting up some pictures, as well as a slide show, and sharing some big news. I officially went into shock today. Our friend Volodya took us to Pushkin Institute to check out some Russian Language classes for me, Lucy. It turns out that I missed the placement test they were giving today, but we assured them that I was a beginner who knew next to nothing! Class starts first thing tomorrow morning; I will be going from 9:30-2:30pm, Monday through Friday! Ahhhhh! I was not expecting to begin tomorrow, and I was not expecting to be in class for SO MANY HOURS a day. I hope I don't die. You can pray for me. Then, we realized another thing: this means Dougle and Canaan will be on their own from about 9:00am-3:00pm everyday. (I think it will take me about 30 minutes to get there- it is pretty close to our apartment.) If you haven't read on Dougle's blog (the site name is posted in the right column->), then you need to read about his "baby culture shock." Basically, he is just having a hard time getting used to getting around a big city, without a car, with a baby! But, things are going better now that we have a new stroller. This stroller is more narrow and lighter weight and is helping us get through the metro easier. So, now he and Canaan will really have some super bonding! I'll admit, I am a bit jealous: I am used to being Canaan's primary care-taker. This will be quite a change for me. And Dougle is a little nervous, because he is not used to being the primary care-taker. He knows he is jumping into a whole new realm of playing "Mommy" all day. What a change for all of us!
So, I will be getting home from school around 3pm and Dougle will be leaving to go to his Russian Language class. He will be studying one-on-one with Volodya, a member from the church who is trained in teaching Russian. He will study 2 hours a day with him. So, we will be immersing ourselves in Russian and our new schedule for the next 4 months.
Keep us in your prayers as we begin our new schedule and dive head-first into language learning; this is all for the purpose of being able to aptly communicate God's love to the people of Moscow!

3 comments:

Guy and Nancy said...

WOW - I WILL be praying for you. Big changes as if moving there was not enough of a big change! Mr. Mom Dougle. That has a nice ring!!! I know it will be hard Luc but I also know you are going to do great!! Nice stroller by the way. It looks warm! We miss you and of course think of you often. Love you, nan

Haley said...

That's a pretty fancy stroller you guys have there, looks like it will keep Canaan warm!! I hope your language classes go well, and that you adjust to being in classes well. It will just make the time you have with your family that much more special and important. I'll keep your adjustment in my prayers.

Carolyn said...

Lucy,

Hey - reading your blog brought back so many memories. We walked down a very similar path...Benjy already spoke spanish - I spoke nothing. So I jumped into language classes while Benjy played Mr. Mom to 4 month old Reece. The language teacher came to my home so Benjy was upstairs reading books to and playing with Reece and he'd bring him down to me to nurse. It was crazy! But - take comfort in this...in our experience - it created a super neat bond between father and son. They benefited from that one-on-one time in so many ways. And Dougle and Canaan will too.

I know you will study hard and do well - prayers today for courage as you face this personal step in your ministry and adjustment to your new home.

Love ya,
Carolyn