Tuesday, September 9, 2008

You bought him what??? and pregnancy pictures

Pregnancy Progress
Hello to all. Things have been going much better recently as it seems that I have finally gained a bit of energy and am able to make it through the day without a nap or two! I am starting to look pretty big now. It is more obvious that I am pregnant these days; I am just growing more rapidly than my previous pregnancy, which I hear is normal. It is exciting, because I love looking pregnant! I think I might have felt the baby kick, but it is so hard to tell when they are so little. The baby is now about 5 1/2 inches long (head to rump), though my uterus is the size of a cantaloupe!!

You Bought Him What??
Well, we have a confession. We bought our son a toy stroller! Yes. We did. It is not pink, though. We made sure to choose the more boy color of blue! Let me explain.
Here all the little girls seem to have these small little toy strollers that they push around. Canaan absolutely loves pushing things around, strollers being no exception. Moms here bring toys to the play grounds for their kiddos: toy strollers, trucks and cars, sand box toys like shovels, buckets and molds, noise makers, etc. I've learned from watching that it is perfectly acceptable for the kids to play with each others toys, as long as the owner isn't demanding it and they aren't stealing toys from each other. If there is a problem, either the toy owner or the youngest child gets to play with it. Well, Canaan loves to push around the strollers if there are any. Well, it seemed out of the question to buy our BOY a stroller, and there were no boyish options that were in an acceptable price range.
So, that leads us up to last Saturday. We were invited over to Alexei and Katya's house to have a small celebration for their son's second birthday. They have two boys, Leonid who turned two, and Alexei Jr (Leoysha is the nickname, though I am sure I am butchering the spellings) who is 8 years old. Canaan loves going to their house because it is like a car/truck heaven; I think they have more cars/trucks than we have!! Well, when we were there, I pointed out to Dougle that there in the corner of their livingroom, stood a toy. blue stroller. Later, we went to the park with them. The big boys played Frisbee and the little ones played on the playground. Much to Canaan's delight, he found a bright pink stroller just waiting for him to push it all over. He pushed it for at least 20 minutes, having the time of his life. We snapped some pictures and remarked how Canaan loves pushing things. Alexei said that their youngest son also loves pushing things, like strollers. Every time they'd go to the park, he'd find someone's stroller and push it around the whole time. That is why they finally broke down and bought one for him, even though it seemed ridiculous to buy a toy stroller for a boy! So, shortly after visiting their house, we bought Canaan his own little stroller! And he loves it!

The Slideshow
The slideshow of pictures has some from the birthday, some from our day downtown while waiting to submit our Ukrainian visas (see Dougle's blog for the story), and some other random recent photos. Hope you enjoy!

4 comments:

Timbra said...

it's perfectly acceptable to buy a boy a stroller. . . i mean, dougle pushes a stroller around doesn't he? and isn't he in his 30s? Love the cute little belly you're sporting :)

Unknown said...

I loved Timbra's comment! She sure does know how to put things in their proper perspective! :) The close-up photo of Canaan looking directly at the camera (in the park) is now my new background on my computer. He has so many cute photos that I'm going through them at a rate of changing my computer background about every other day! When I tell people he is bald I don't think they quite understand (it is like telling people unfamiliar with Lubbock that it is windy here), and the previously mentioned photo tells it like it is!

David and Olivia said...

Ha ha... I'm glad you got him a stroller. He needed one... next up a little doll! :) David thinks you should have gotten him a lawn mower or wheel barrow. I bet if you got him a lawn mower people wouldn't have a clue what it was in Kharkov! lol No, stroller is great. You're looking fabulous as well... can't wait till you get our package and you can show off your tummy in more of your stylish clothes!

Anonymous said...

No need to defend a boy pushing a stroller, in my opinion! Malachi has always loved pushing strollers around. We've never even thought about getting a toy stroller, though, because he does just fine with the smaller stroller that we own. He has been known to put one of his stuffed lions in it (whom he has named "Baby Rawrrr") and push him around the house. We're happy for you Canaan!