Tuesday, August 4, 2009

First Food and Applesauce making Adventures

Ok, this is a late post. Max ate his first food on Tuesday, July 14th! We made rice cereal for him. I looked at the baby cereal in the store, but all of it had sugar added and was very expensive. So, I talked to Denyce, our team queen of health and do-it-yourself in terms of cooking. And I looked online. It is super easy to make cereal yourself! I started with rice cereal (just make rice and blend in the blender). After a few days, I moved onto oatmeal. Max definitely prefers oatmeal over anything! Usually I make enough for a couple days, keep it in the fridge and just add a bit of water and heat it up when I feed it to him. That makes my life just a tad easier, especially lately while Dougle is gone.
We have also tried carrots, which he didn't like at all, mashed potatoes, which he ate, but didn't just "like" them like he does his oatmeal, and applesauce. I was over at Rob and Denyce's last night. While she fixed us dinner, I peeled and cut apples. We had two different types: small redish, gold apples that were a bit mushy and sweet, and small light green apples that were more tart and crisp. I always prefer tart and crisp. We cooked the redish ones and blended raw the green ones. The green apples made a delicious, yet tangy applesauce that was great, and the redish ones made a very light flavored, but sweet, mixture. I fed Max the tangy stuff, because it was ready first. He ate about 10 or 15 bites and then was making awful faces that seemed to say "Ok, this is getting too tart for my liking!" Maybe I'll try the sweeter stuff today. Canaan didn't like it either, but he doesn't really eat fruit at all (except bananas), and he was in a bit of a mood, so maybe we'll try the sweeter stuff today. So, though it took forever to peel and cut the apples (maybe I'll get faster with practice), it was great having applesauce, since they don't sell it in the stores here. And the best part is that it was with fresh fruit I bought at the market, grown by families at there small homes in the country (dacha). And we didn't add sugar to either, and both were fabulous by themselves. I think we'll put cinnamon in when we eat it next, though, because we are all fans of cinnamon!

3 comments:

Timbra said...

fun food adventures. . . applesauce from "scratch" is so tasty and simple and so fun for kiddos. . . glad it worked out for you. i'm keeping up on your blogs even if i don't always comment. . . did i comment on the last one? i'm cotton brains right now :) but max definitely favors your side :)

Jeanette said...

so adorable and making your own baby food IS fun and easy! I love the pic of you feeding max and canaan on your back... oh the mom of two kids!!

Anonymous said...

Homemade baby food tastes so much better! Those canned baby foods smell bad. lol Plus, I'm sure the homemade stuff is much better for them anyways.
I hope all is going well. Maybe I'll get to talk to ya sometime soon. :)
Love, ~Abigail~