Saturday, July 12, 2008

Prices

Canaan doesn't get many new toys here. They are hard to come by at decent prices. So, whenever we find something small for a good price, we usually get it. We've bought him a few small cars/trucks, a small sand box pail, shovel and rake (everyone here has them!), etc. Well, the other day I was looking for some larger lego blocks, because I think he is about at the age to enjoy them. I managed to find some that weren't too bad a price, so I think we might get those for him. However, I also was looking for some type of little car ramp for him. He plays with his cars/trucks CONSTANTLY and is always running them around on things. I thought that might be fun. After a bit of looking, I found exactly what I was looking for. However, because it was an American product (Fisher Price), it had a VERY pretty price tag: $3400 rubles- which translates to $150 USD. Out of curiosity, I looked it up on the internet to see what it goes for in America: $30-$35! I couldn't believe the price difference! Needless to say, he won't be getting that! I was thinking about making him something similar with cardboard boxes. Maybe I'll even paint them!
But, we are very grateful for all the toys and books we did bring him in our original move, and for the toys and books that GrandDad and GranNan brought on their trip, as well as the stuff Liv and David brought when they met Dougle in Ukraine! (We have yet to enjoy these things because of a luggage problem they had. The suitcase is currently in an apartment of a brother in Christ in Kharkov, Ukraine. We will enjoy them in a few months!) Thanks a bunch you guys!

4 comments:

Haley said...

Holly Cow, that's very crazy. I hope you have better luck finding him some good toys that are not so expensive!

Timbra said...

yes, this was absolutely the same situation with this type of item in fiji. there were these "lil people" items I had my eye on and it was like $150+ FD for something that we MIGHT have paid $20-$20 for in the US (that's about $70) now we all know what to get canaan for his birthday :) it will be cheaper to buy and send to you in the mail than for you to "buy it locally." One thing we thought was nuts was like an umbrella stroller would cost almost $100US in Fiji (I mean here we'd pay like $15 or something). . .

Unknown said...

Of course, when you take in the 90 cents an ounce it costs to mail things, maybe they are better left for another time!

David and Olivia said...

Wish you had the toys now!! I miss being able to buy for him! It's so sad.