Sunday, August 10, 2008

ABC's and "Nay-Nan Up!"

We took a short video of Canaan saying some ABC's. It is interesting, because he doesn't sing them, he just says them. He likes me to repeat after him, before he goes to the next letter, and every-so-often I have to give him a prompt because he either doesn't remember what comes next (D and H) or he doesn't say certain letters (N and W). But, overall, I think it is very impressive! He likes letters a lot; he plays with foam letters and plastic letters that we've bought him, and he likes to point out letters in words he sees around town. Lately, when I am writing something, he says, "Mama, G-F." That means I am writing letters. Yesterday he was scribbling on his chalk board and while doing it, he would say "G...E...K!" (when it actually looked a bit like a K). He was so proud of himself! Hope you enjoy the video (below)!

Finally, tonight, Canaan climbed out of his play pen (where he sleeps) for the first time! I have been expecting it for a while, and he finally got up the desire and figured out how to do it! He scared me, though, when he unexpectedly came running into the living room practically yelling, "Car! Truck! Nay-Nan UP! Nay-Nan UP!" He was so proud of himself and had the biggest grin on his face. It took a bit before we could calm him down from his excitement, and he cried when we put him back in bed. He got up one more time, this time with a stern warning not to get up again, and then finally fell asleep. So, it will be interesting to see how this plays out. He is getting a bit big for his playpen, almost stretching end to end, but we are trying to hold off on getting him a 'big boy' bed until we make our move to Ukraine.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

He's just the cutest and smartest baby in the world! Gran-Nan

Russell, Alison and Grant said...

Canaan is so smart. We've always known that, this just further proves it! Grant calls himself Nant. It is funny how they both use the same letter to pronouce sounds for their names!
Alison

Toni Burns said...

Hi Lucy, I am just now catching up on reading blogs since we have been in the states. Looks like your trip was really fun. As a child that was #2 on my list of places I wanted to visit. Red Square/Moscow being #1. I don't think I would have ever guessed that I would have made it to Moscow twice by the time I was 22!
Glad you are home.