Thursday, August 14, 2008

Pregnancy, Playing and Passing the Time

Passing the Time
Recently, due to the Olympics, we have been passing a bit of time watching some of the events. Mainly, the TV is just on in the background as we go about our normal business, but sometimes we have to pause what we are doing and watch a specific race or event. Though I normally hate it when the TV plays all day in the background, this has been an enjoyable exception!! We have a channel called "Euro-Sport" that we watch most of the time. The commercials are all in English, but all the event narration is in Russian. The guy who narrates the swimming is a bit monotoned...unlike some of the American commentators who are very passionate and get emotional over things. One advantage of being in Moscow is that we get to watch several events live. The programing starts at 4am here (because that is 8am in Beijing), and plays all day until around 5pm, where they do recaps of the best events and have a guy go over things (it is in English but dubbed in Russian!). My favorite is gymnastics, which I've been able to catch twice for a short time, and Dougle is excitingly awaiting track and field (we think it starts of the 15th). Meanwhile, we've enjoyed watching all the swimming they are showing, due to it's popularity! Canaan will watch it sometimes and say "water, there." I hope you are enjoying some things too!
Playing
Canaan and I are enjoying the playgrounds recently. Since we don't have a back yard to play in, we must walk to the nearby playgrounds. On the way, he likes to walk in the little patches of grass there are; I am glad he is a bit acquainted with grass since we live in such a big city. I've found that if we go close to noon, there are more kids his age out. Canaan really enjoys playing a bit with other kids, especially those that are about 6-18 months older than he is.
We also recently bought him some Legos (not the actual brand, but you understand). They aren't the really big ones, or the small ones, but the ones in between. I am always on the look out for a good toy purchase, since we have to be picky with what we buy here. And, I am very pleased with this purchase since it seems like something that he will grow with him for a few years. Since he is so stuck on planes and trains and automobiles, I founds some that have little trains. There are about 5 lego platforms with wheels, which he absolutely loves. He has started stacking a few pieces on top of them, and Mommy and Daddy enjoy showing him how to build other fun things too!
As we play, Canaan just seems to be saying all kinds of new words. I feel like we have "mini" conversations too. It is very exciting for me, and I can already foresee that he will be talking our heads off very soon! Here is an example of a recent conversation on our way back home from the playground (it actually is 2 conversations put together):
Canaan: Daddy home?
Mommy: No, Daddy's not at home.
Canaan: Daddy back?
Mommy: Yes, Daddy will be back later.
Canaan: Daddy cool.
Mommy: Yes, Daddy is at school.
Canaan: Cars, Trucks home.
Mommy: Yes, your cars and trucks are at home.
Pregnancy
Morning sickness has abated, thankfully! However, I am still feeling completely worn out! I have to sit and rest just after taking a shower! Pathetic! I don't know how moms do it who are pregnant more than one or two times. I am completely exhausted! Though I know it will all be worth it in the end, I think this is the last pregnancy we have energy for!
Oh, I am starting to show a bit, but only if you know that I was skinny a few months ago. Otherwise, I just look like I have a small tire around my waist! With Canaan, I looked forward to the time when I would really look pregnant, when I wasn't in the awkward phase of people wondering if I was pregnant or just putting on a few extra pounds!I was told I would wish I weren't so big once I got bigger, but I loved being big (except for the uncomfortable sleeping bit)! Once again, here I am, excited to get to that point!

PS. The picture where all Canaan's cars/trucks are on their sides: he was putting them "nigh, night", because it was about his bedtime too!

That's all for now! Hope everyone is doing well. We miss you all! God bless!

5 comments:

Timbra said...

you crack me up writing comments on each of my posts. . . what a committed friend you are :) glad to hear you're feeling a little better, the exhaustion passes soon too. i remember just falling asleep in the middle of the day on the couch when i'd NEVER do that in my regular life. anyway, enjoy the foreign olympic experience. did you watch any of the sydney games when you were living in mexico? i remember what a crazy and different experience it was to watch with "local" (Or in our case australian) commentary v. american commentary that i'd grown accustomed to over the years.

Timbra said...

by the way, looks like you were inspired by the letter "P" this week too. .. . it's like sesame street for bloggers :)

Timbra said...

by the way, looks like you were inspired by the letter "P" this week too. .. . it's like sesame street for bloggers :)

David and Olivia said...

Good news you're through with morning sickness! And I look forward to seeing your belly again as well. Canaan is remarkable with how much he's talking right now. Cute pics of Canaan as well!

Unknown said...

What an adorable picture of Canaan that first one was (of course they are all adorable, but that one especially)! I'm glad you are feeling better. I hope that tiredness goes away soon. Packing up for Ukraine is going to be a challenge either way.
I'm loving reading about Canaan's conversations.