Thursday, June 5, 2008

All About Canaan's MOMMY!

Ok, Dougle probably thinks this belongs on HIS blog, since it is more culture related, but I am going to post something else on there soon about car garages here. So, this is going on MY blog. It is kind of about Canaan, because it is about HIS MOMMY!

She is going crazy! I am in culture shock. My long, extended, beautiful honeymoon period (about which I wrote about here) has passed. I am now into big time culture shock. I told that to my language teacher, Volodya (as an excuse to why I haven't been studying much), and he told me that it was too late for culture shock. Well, I have news for everyone: it can come this late!!

I have been in culture shock about two weeks now. I hope it will soon pass. The weather here doesn't help. It has been cold, cloudy and rainy. When it is 100 degrees (oh it sounds so nice and warm) in Lubbock, it is 55 degrees here! However, we did wake up earlier than normal this morning because the sunlight was pouring through our window at 5:30 this morning. This is because there were no clouds to keep it darker in the room. So, it has been a nice, sunshiny day today, though it has been cool and windy.

I haven't wanted to talk Russian or practice. It seems impossible. While I know in my head that is not true, my heart is ready to give up at times! I just dread having to speak in Russian, because I know I won't be able to express myself like I want to. I know that I will only be able to understand half of what is said to me, and that my responses will be grammatically incorrect, two-year old words that are strung together in a sentence like fashion! Some days I just dread going out to the playground with Canaan where I will probably talk with another mom (in Russian). However, once we do go out, it ends up working out just fine. I am able to play with Canaan, talk with other moms (maybe not as easily as I'd like to-but we communicate), and it is not so bad at all! I am just having to work on keeping my motivation up!!

Thankfully, God is faithful in keeping us going through the rough times! Two Sundays ago, I was sitting in church, listening to the preacher. Ok, I wasn't really listening; I had given up after 10 minutes because I was only catching one out of every 10 words, which doesn't make for good understanding! :) So, I was looking around at my Russian brothers and sisters. Part of me was so happy that I've had the time to get to know them, talk with them (even if it is just in short sentences), and worship with them. The other part of me was just feeling sick that I didn't know them as well as I'd like to (mainly because of our current language barrier) and that I couldn't do more with them. But the thought of learning more Russian to accomplish these dreams was just sickening! Ugg. I couldn't even think about Russian anymore; I just wanted to drown out my bad feelings in a pile of some delicious, McDonald's french fries. Unfortunately (or so I thought), we were invited to a couple's house to eat lunch. We went with them to a War Memorial Park, walking and talking with them. The husband only knows Russian, but the wife knows some English (thankfully)! They have two kids, one who is 8 yrs old and one who is two months older than Canaan. After going with them to the park, we went to their home and ate a good Russian meal, pelmini. Although I really didn't want to go with them at first, we ended up having a super-fantastic time! After leaving their home around 8pm that evening, we were so encouraged! My day that had started out down and in the culture shock dumps, turned right-side-up. It was great. God is so good in how He knows what we need, even when we don't! Since them, we've had them to our home too; they are such a neat couple, with whom we are enjoying a great, growing friendship. Though we will only be here a few more months, they have been so generous and welcoming to us and we are learning much from them!


Well, that is enough about culture shock. Just thought I'd let you know that it had hit. Any extra prayers you could offer up on my, and my husband's, behalf (poor guy, he has to take care of me and let me cry on his shoulder over little things), are greatly appreciated. We love you all! Hope you are having a wonderful week!

8 comments:

Timbra said...

who says culture shock can't hit "this late?" this is the perfect time for it, especially in light of having gone home for a week or so already and being in flux because you know it won't be your "home" for much longer. hang in there. there's no formula for when or how long culture shock will be around, it's individual, and since you aren't a textbook. . i think it's safe to say that was you're going through is normal, even if VERY difficult. good job on seeing the silver lining. thoughts and prayers are with you guys. and happy birthday weekend (i know it's on monday)!!!!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Timbra, there is no specific time when culture shock will hit, or for how long. Someone once told us they are more like culture jolts, because it doesn't hit just once and it's over. It can come at anytime, no matter how long you've been there. We lived in Brazil 12 years and still went through it at times, although less intense then those first couple of years. I had to remember the wise words of Mrs. Bobbie, "This too shall pass." And it always did. I'll be keeping you in my prayers even more at this time.

Haley said...

Sorry to hear that your having a rough time, I'll be sure to keep you in my prayers that this feeling passes quickly.

David and Olivia said...

Reading your blog made me sad for you! Just think... I'll be there in a little bit going through the exact same thing! :) I am so proud of you for sticking it out so much... and even when you don't feel like talking Russian, you do. That's encouraging me to me and I hope I will do the same when we get where ever! I love you, Luc. You're on my heart and mind and in my prayers lately. That won't stop. Love you, sis!

Kim said...

i agree with timbra and janet. i was in portugal for 6 mos before i felt it, and i definitely felt it the second time around as well (for different reasons). the truth of the matter is that it's hard for us to be out of our element, but i am confident that the Lord uses it to teach us and bless us (and i am glad that you are seeing those blessings in the midst of struggle).

when i would have to ride a stinky bus packed full of construction workers that were all staring at me every week to get to one of our church meetings i would sing to myself "this world is not my home...."" and laugh to get through it.

Matthew 19:29
"And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life." Lord, I pray that this promise will stick in Lucy's mind and surface and resurface when she needs your strength and hope to make it through. Bless her and her family and let your kingdom reign over them. Lord I pray that you would make Lucy a prodigy in Russian for your glory and your will. Amen.

Love ya Luc, hang in there!!

Anonymous said...

A good, transparent post, Lucy! And a good preparatory reminder for me to keep at it when I hit the stage you're in. Lately here in Phoenix, between all the research, preaching, teaching, etc. I haven't really had time to study Russian, and I'm craving it! But I'm sure my time will come when I'll want to have nothing to do with it. Glad you're hanging in there!

Russell, Alison and Grant said...

You always amaze me with your positive attitude. Even when you are telling a story about a bad event. Thanks for your encouraging attitude! I'll pray that the shock won't last much longer.
Alison

The Reeds said...

Hi, writing from Lubbock here. Just to say I've totally been there. And it wasn't the same in Africa as it was in Prague for me. Everywhere is unique. And I agree with all that there is no time frame. For me- when the spring REALLY came and the sun was out- I honestly wanted to "FROLICK THROUGH THE TREES". That's when I realized I had actually dealt with my "shock" through depression for many months. BUT it was all useful. AND the more miserable you are sitting and listening to language- don't worry! It seems to all seep in slowly. You'll never regret the time you spend immersed in conversations you CAN't FOLLOW. It pays off!

Ps. just returned to lubbock from africa and wanted to find a pic of our bad sand storm/lightning storm/tornado weather last night and found your blog. Crazy!