Sunday, August 19, 2007

Canaan and Grant: Best Buds

Alison, a friend of mine from church, and I both found out we were pregnant around the same time. Then, we were both given the same due date! At the end of our pregnancies, both my doctor and Alison's doctor decided to induce. And the same date was chosen for both Alison and me to be induced! On October 30th, Canaan and Grant were born- about 4 hours apart in rooms right across from each other. So, naturally, they are best friends. Alison and I try to get together as often as we can. We share stories, milestones, woes, and joys with each other. It has been wonderful for me to have another mom who knows just what I am going through, or close to it!

Canaan and Grant are both boys and both bald. The similarities stop there. Canaan was very anxious to enter this world, and started to push his way out before the doctors even tried to get him out! Grant wanted to stay inside for a bit longer. Grant is a live wire. He started rolling his way around the room when he was just a little thing. Canaan was content to just lay there and watch. Grant started crawling everywhere before he was 6 months old; Canaan waited until 9 ½ months! Instead of mobility, Canaan preferred to talk. And, Canaan was the one who showed Grant how to spit and blow raspberries! Grant started eating cereal and foods first; Canaan got teeth first.

With Canaan and Grant being the exact same age, it has helped me not be so anxious about how and when Canaan starts doing different things. I can see things Canaan does, that Grant doesn’t yet do. I also see things Grant can do, that Canaan hasn’t learned yet. They just grow and develop in different areas at different rates. It has been a blessing to see the two boys grow up together so far. God is amazing in his creation. Just seeing how unique Grant and Canaan are, I just can’t fathom His creativity with making over 6 billion people so special in their own way. Wow, what a God we serve!

No comments: