Friday, August 24, 2007

Carol and Ashtin

Well, I must say, I feel really bad about how long it has taken me to write about Carol and Ashtin coming to Texas. It is always a big deal when people visit us here in Lubbock. Why? Because we know they are 100% coming to see US! I mean really, what else attracts people to Lubbock. There is prairie dog town and Buddy Holly.... Enough said. Carol and Ashtin drove down with my parents from Ohio. Ashtin has started the AIM program this year. We are all so proud of her and so happy about this decision. I really think AIM is one of the best things young people can be involved in. What other time in your life do you have to devote fully to the Lord? When you are in college, there is studying (for some people, anyway). Once you finish, it is getting started with your career and paying off student loans. Then you have kids and everything that comes with being a responsible parent. Next comes mid-life-crisis's, paying for your kids' college, being grandparents, retirement, etc. There is no better and more convenient time to sacrifice completely to maturing your relationship with God before you get sucked into the world. I really think it gives kids a head start in dealing with the rest of their life (though many think it is a set-back because they don't get started right away with college). Just because AIM is not college doesn't mean it is easy, or a cop-out, or a putting off of a higher education. AIM is probably one of the hardest things I've experienced in my life, but one of the best things. It gave me a foundation to start to put into practice the spiritual foundation my parents instilled in me, and start to make them my own. AIM helped solidify my focus and priorities in life. Okay, I will get off my soap-box and talk about their visit now!
Carol came to drop Ashtin off (so I guess it wasn't just to see us!). We were able to meet Ashtin's roommates, see her new apartment, go to the opening banquet and see all her classmates, and then some.... She's even been back to do laundry and hang out. (That was just because it was the first week and she didn't have a million things to do yet!) We did get to have a very nice visit with Carol. One thing I always look forward to when we are with my mom's family is the games we play! I am a big game person (though I married a non-gamest...I am still trying to convert him); I love all manner of games. So, we played games, shopped and Carol got to hang out with Canaan and see how true the rumors were that we have the MOST WONDERFUL BABY ON THE PLANET! It was great!
Just a note: in the picture, Canaan is giving Ashtin a kiss. He has started to do this recently- on his own terms, of course. They are the wonderful, first, slobbery, wet kisses that toddlers give! You can tell by the foto how much Ashtin is enjoying hers!

1 comment:

Lindsay White said...

Yay for AIM, stay on your soap box girl! I am jealous I missed their visit, but am glad I got to see them the past two summers. Love you guys!